Heart Healthy Breakfast Blueberry-Oatmeal Cakes
Champaign, Il (WCIA) – February is American Heart Month, so today Harvest Market is featuring a heart healthy recipe!
Be sure to check out Emily’s heart healthy low sodium class that Carle sponsors on the first Thursday of every month for those with heart failure or those that need to follow a low sodium/heart healthy diet.
Breakfast Blueberry-Oatmeal Cakes
Adapted by EatingWell
– 2½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
– 1½ cups low-fat milk
– 1 large egg, lightly beaten
– ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
– 2 tablespoons canola oil
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– ¼ teaspoon salt
– ¾ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. Combine oats and milk in a large bowl. Cover and let soak in the refrigerator until much of the liquid is absorbed, at least 8 hours and up to 12 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin tin with cooking spray.
3. Stir egg, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, baking powder and salt into the soaked oats until well combined. Divide the mixture among the muffin cups (about ¼ cup each). Top each with 1 tablespoon blueberries.
4. Bake the oatmeal cakes until they spring back when touched, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for a 10 minutes. Loosen and remove with a paring knife. Serve warm.