Kim’s favorite recipe of the week
There’s nothing better than coming home at the end of the work day and finding dinner is pretty much ready to go. I don’t have to hunt through the kitchen cabinets or order out for a mystery meal that may be loaded with hidden unhealthy ingredients.
Our sponsor HelloFresh takes the guesswork out of dinner and helps you get a nutritious meal on the table fast. But a quick dinner and a slow cooker aren’t mutually exclusive. I love the comforting meals I can make in a slow cooker.
HelloFresh has delightful options for slow cooker aficionados, so when you walk in the door at the end of the day, your meal is ready! And your home will smell amazing.
No more pouring over endless recipe options or whittling away your time in the checkout line at the grocery store. HelloFresh ingredients are healthy, the recipes are fun and easy to follow, and it’s all delivered right to your doorstep.
Click here for $30 off your first HelloFresh box!
Slow Cooker Smoky Beef Chili
Smoky. Hearty. Nourishing. HelloFresh’s smoky beef chili is one of my favorite recipes. It’s a full meal that melds fresh peppers, flavorful black beans, and ground beef together into a filling and healthy dish for four people. It takes 6 to 8 hours in your slow cooker, so plan to get it going in the morning so it’s ready in time for dinner.
Ingredients that make you say “Yum!”
Here’s what came in my HelloFresh box:
6 oz tomato paste
Beef stock concentrate
2 Tbsp Southwest spice blend
1 Tsp smoked paprika
13.76 oz crushed tomatoes
1 red onion
2 green bell peppers
20 oz ground beef
13.4 oz black beans
2 bunches of scallions
6 Tbsp sour cream
¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese
The box comes with extra tomato paste I can use for other recipes. I only had to use salt and pepper from my own kitchen supplies.
The simple instructions:
- Combine ½ cup water, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, the beef stock concentrates, ½ teaspoon paprika (there will be some left over for later), the Southwest spice, and a few pinches of salt in the bowl of your slow cooker.
- Wash and dry the peppers and onion. Remove the core and seeds from the bell pepper and dice it. Peel and dice the onion. Stir both into the slow cooker.
- Break up the beef with your hands into crumbles and gently stir it in with the rest of the ingredients. Cover the slow cooker and set it to cook on high heat for 6 hours or low heat for 8 hours.
- As you reach the end of the cook time, open the can of black beans, drain them, and stir them into the slow cooker. Now it’s time to taste the chili! Add salt and pepper if desired.
- For the crema topping, stir the remaining smoked paprika into the sour cream, giving it a lovely color and flavor. Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave them on high for about 30 to 45 seconds to warm them up.
- Trim the small roots from the scallions. Slice them into thin circles. Serve the chili in bowls with a dollop of the paprika crema on top. Sprinkle with the sliced scallions and Monterey Jack cheese. Offer the tortillas on the side for dipping.
Save $30 off your first HelloFresh box. Just click here!
Still hungry? Check out my previous recipe of the week: Steak Caprese with mozzarella, tomatoes, and herbed potatoes.
Grocery shopping may never be the same again!
New technology is changing the game when it comes to buying food.
Click here to learn about a new innovation in grocery shopping.